Study Guide for Element, Compounds and Mixtures
Directions: Match the following words to their definition
1. Mixture Does not appear to be the same throughout
2. Element One- or – two letter representation of an element
3. Atom Contains two or more substances
4. Chemical Symbol The smallest part of an element
5. Heterogeneous Appears to be the same throughout
6. Homogeneous Contains one kind of atom
7. Compound Made up of two or more elements chemically combined
8. Physical Change Change in which new kinds of matter are formed
9. Molecule Two or more atoms chemically combined
10. Chemical Change Change observed without changing matter
11. Name four methods that can be used to separate a mixture.
12. Name five elements and two compounds.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5.
13. In what way does a compound differ from an element?
14. How can a heterogeneous mixture be recognized?
15. Compare and contrast physical and chemical changes.
16. Substances that make up a mixture are ____________ combined.
17. Substances that make up a mixture________ their own properties once they are combined to form a mixture.
Label the following as physical or chemical changes
18. Ice melting____________
19. Milk souring____________
20. Chocolate melting________
21. Iron rusting____________
22. Vinegar and baking soda reacting____________
23. Boiling water_____________
24. Burning paper_____________
25. Ripping a piece of paper__________
Label the following as an Element, Compounds, and Mixtures
27. Trail Mix_______
30. Salad Dressing_________